VOC 2 Vocational (specialist) registration
You can apply if you:
• hold an approved New Zealand/Australasian postgraduate qualification
• do not hold general registration with us
• hold a primary medical degree from a university medical school listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools
Under New Zealand law (HPCAA 2003) a doctor can only be registered in a vocational scope if they meet all three of the following requirements:
- hold the prescribed qualification. For this pathway to vocational registration, the prescribed qualification is any of the New Zealand / Australasian postgraduate qualificationslisted.
- is fit for registration
- is competent to practise in the relevant vocational scope of practice.
Forms to complete
All applicants must complete the following:
Download VOC2 form and include the supporting documentation listed on the form.
Referees: You also need to provide three referee reports, completed by specialist/consultants in the same area of medicine in which you are making your application who are familiar with your current practice.
Download RP6 form
No practising certificate: If you do not hold a current practising certificate, please also request an APC1 application form.
Applications will take 2-4 months to be processed, from the date we receive a complete application.
Vocational registration staff will contact you if further information is required and to let you know whether your application has been approved.
In addition to the above requirements, doctors wishing to register in order to provide teleradiology services within New Zealand, will need to also provide the following documentation:
- Original certified copy of primary qualification to be posted to MCNZ (Photocopies not acceptable)
- Original certified copy of Australasian postgraduate qualification to be posted to MCNZ (Photocopies not acceptable)
- Original certified copy of passport to be posted to MCNZ (Photocopies not acceptable)
- Original certified copy of evidence of name change to be posted to MCNZ (Only if names are different on passport and qualifications. Photocopies not acceptable)
- Copy of employment agreement with Teleradiology service provider (employer)
- Copy of contract between Teleradiology service provider and New Zealand District Health Board (Including proposed disciplinary and dispute resolution processes)
- Written confirmation from the applicant of having worked a minimum of 20 hours over at least 24 of the last 36 months. Email is acceptable
- Three completed reference check (RP6) forms. (Referees must be consultants/specialists in diagnostic radiology who have worked with the applicant for at least 6 months within the last 3 years. RP6s must be signed and dated within 6 months of when the completed application is received by MCNZ. At least one reference must be from the current ‘employer’. If applicant has not worked with Teleradiology service provider for 6 months yet, a 4th reference is required.)