General practice is an academic and scientific discipline with its own educational content, research, evidence base and clinical activity, and a clinical speciality orientated to primary care. It is personal, family, and community-orientated comprehensive primary care that includes diagnosis, continues over time and is anticipatory as well as responsive.
Vocational training in general practice is undertaken through the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners (RNZCGP). Once RNZCGP training is completed, the doctor is awarded the Fellowship of the RNZCGP (FRNZCGP).
Am I able to apply to work as a recognised specialist in New Zealand?
To apply for vocational registration in general practice, you need to hold one of the following:
- the FRNZCGP qualification in general practice
- an international postgraduate medical qualification in general practice, where your combination of qualifications, training and experience will then be assessed against the standard of the FRNZCGP.
What standard will I be compared with?
To obtain the FRNZCGP in general practice, the trainee completes a 3 year training programme comprising:
- 12 or 10 months – dependent on full time or part time of basic vocational training (General Practice Education Programme – Year 1 (GPEP1)) which involves 42 weeks of general practice training, leading to the General Practice Education Programme examinations
- 26 or 24 months – dependent on full or part time of advanced general practice training Years 2/3 (GPEP 2/3) which involves:
- practising in a collegial relationship
- undertaking a series of activities to assess the trainee’s competence to practise independently
- a final Fellowship assessment visit to assess the trainee’s eligibility for Fellowship
- FRNZCGP is awarded on successful completion of these requirements
- participation in the RNZCGP Continuing Professional Development programme.
I want to make a vocational registration application
If you wish to make a vocational registration application, please refer to the Vocational Registration Homepage and select the Option appropriate for you.
Am I able to apply for other types of registration?
You may be able to apply for more than one type of registration. To find out which is the best fit for you, please use our self assessment tool