Paediatrics involves the assessment, diagnosis and management of infants, children and young people with disturbances of health, growth, behaviour and/or development. It also addresses the health status of this group through population assessments, intervention, education and research.
Vocational training in paediatrics is undertaken through the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP). Once RACP training is completed the doctor is awarded the Fellowship of the RACP (FRACP) in paediatrics.
Am I able to apply to work as a recognised specialist in New Zealand?
To apply for vocational registration in paediatrics, you would need to hold:
- the FRACP qualification in paediatrics; or
- an international postgraduate medical qualification in paediatrics, where your combination of qualifications, training and experience is assessed against the standard of the FRACP in paediatrics.
What standard will I be compared against?
To obtain the FRACP, the trainee completes 6 years of training:
- 3 years of basic training:
- a minimum of 36 months clinical and educational experience which commences 12 months after graduation
- 24 of the 36 months must be in paediatrics and child health
- exposure to the breadth of clinical experience in paediatric medicine
- experience in patient care, for inpatients (from initial presentation and admission through to discharge) and outpatient
- an attempt at the FRACP examination in the third year of basic training or later. This comprises written and clinical components, both of which must be completed successfully
- 3 years of advanced training:
- builds on the cognitive and practical skills acquired during basic training; an
- ensures at the end of advanced training that the doctor is competent to provide (at consultant level), unsupervised comprehensive medical care in paediatric medicine, or one or more subspecialty
- FRACP awarded on satisfactory completion of examination and training requirements
- participation required in the RACP continuing professional development programme (MyCPD)
I want to make a vocational registration application
If you wish to make a vocational registration application, please refer to the Vocational Registration Homepage and select the Option appropriate for you.
Am I able to apply for other types of registration?
You may be able to apply for more than one type of registration. To find out which is the best fit for you, please use our self assessment tool