Psychiatry involves the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of patients with psychological, emotional, or cognitive problems resulting from psychiatric disorders, physical disorders or any other cause.
Treatment interventions provided by psychiatrists will include biological, psychological and existential modalities. Psychiatrists also undertake supervision and consultation with other health professionals, working with a broad range of issues.
Vocational training in psychiatry is undertaken through the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP). Once the RANZCP training is completed, the doctor is awarded the Fellowship of the RANZCP (FRANZCP).
Am I able to apply to work as a recognised specialist in New Zealand?
To apply for vocational registration in psychiatry, you would need to hold:
- the FRANZCP qualification; or
- an international postgraduate medical qualification in psychiatry, where your combination of qualifications, training and experience will be assessed against the standard of the FRANZCP.
What standard will I be compared against?
To obtain the FRANZCP, the trainee completes 6 years of training:
- at least 1 year of general medical experience
- a minimum of 3 years basic psychiatry training
- 2 case histories and written and clinical examinations must be successfully completed at the end of basic psychiatric training
- a minimum of 2 years advanced psychiatry training
- summative assessments, a review of training documentation and reports, a research project and a final report must be successfully completed by the end of advanced psychiatry training
- in the 5 years, rotations must be completed in adult general psychiatry, child/adolescent psychiatry, consultation/liaison, rural psychiatry, indigenous mental health, psychiatry of old age, additional, ECT and psychotherapy.
- FRANZCP awarded on satisfactory completion of examination and training requirements
- advanced certificates awarded on satisfactory completion of further subspecialty training
- participation required in the RANZCP continuing professional development programme
I want to make a vocational registration application
If you wish to make a vocational registration application, please refer to the Vocational Registration Homepage and select the Option appropriate for you.
Am I able to apply for other types of registration?
You may be able to apply for more than one type of registration. To find out which is the best fit for you, please use our self assessment tool