Night cover is the after hours patient monitoring and medical care.
0 - 3 months
May not be provide night cover.
After 3 months
May provide night cover if the hospital where you are working can meet our requirements below.
Hospitals must meet the following criteria once doctors have met the time requirement to work on night cover:
- Effective back up and support must be available.
- Appropriate orientation must be given beforehand.
- Several days’ of induction must be given under direct supervision to acquire all the necessary skills.
- Written guidelines must be provided on when it is appropriate to contact consultants, with the understanding that consultants would rather be called unnecessarily than not at all.
- The doctor must know how to get help and be able to adequately document any approach made to an immediate clinical supervisor.
- Clinical supervisors must be available, approachable, helpful and reasonable.
- The trainee/doctor must work five nights under direct supervision before being on night cover alone.
- The trainee/doctor must pass Level 7 of an Advanced Cardiac Life Support course, to the same level of proficiency required of New Zealand graduates authorised to practise within a provisional general scope of practice.