Policy on registration in a special purpose scope of practice
The special purpose scope of practice is a temporary form of registration in New Zealand, specific to a particular purpose which has been identified by Council.
This policy sets out our requirements for doctors wishing to register in New Zealand for a limited period of time to:
- teach as a visiting expert
- undertake post-graduate training and/or experience
- carry out research
- work as a locum tenens for up to 12 months
- work in an emergency or other unpredictable, short-term situation
- work in a pandemic or disaster
- provide teleradiology services to New Zealand patients, for up to 12 months
This policy applies if you're applying for registration temporarily to teach, train, carry out research, work as a locum tenens specialist, assist in an emergency or work as a teleradiologist.