COVID-19 Pandemic scope of practice - extended to 31 March 2023
This Notice replaces the original Notice issued on 19 March 2020.
The principal effect of this Notice is to extend the COVID-19 Pandemic scope of practice to 31 March 2023.
The existing registration of doctors in this scope of practice (obtained under the earlier Notice) can also be extended to 31 March 2023 subject to completion of the renewal process.
Definition of scope
This scope of practice permits the practise of medicine:
- under approved supervision; and
- within an approved New Zealand hospital, general practice, or other institution or organisation providing one or more health services.
Registration in this scope of practice may, in the case of an individual applicant, also be subject to any condition on that doctor’s scope of practice that was in place at the time the doctor last held a current practising certificate.
Requirements for registration in the scope of practice
An applicant for registration in this scope of practice must:
- hold, or held within the last three years, General registration or Vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand; and
- have held a practising certificate issued by the Council and current no later than 3 years prior to the date of the application.
Applications will not be accepted from doctors:
- whose registration was cancelled by the Council under sections 146 or 147 of the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act 2003 (HPCAA), or by the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal; or
- who, within the last three years, had had their registration suspended by the Council or the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal; or
- who, within the last three years, has had conditions on his or her scope of practice imposed under sections 39, 50, 67A or 69 or 101 of the HPCAA.
Registration in this scope of practice to expire 31 March 2023
Registration in the COVID-19 Pandemic scope of practice will expire on 31 March 2023. All practising certificates issued for practice within this scope of practice will be current only up to 31 March 2023.
Expressions of interest to be made to the Ministry
Council is working closely with the Ministry of Health to assist with the COVID-19 response.
The Ministry is looking to add practitioners to its database to match eligible doctors with potential health care employers.
If you are interested in working as a vaccinator or supporting with the COVID-19 response, please register your interest online here .
Applications for registration in this scope of practice will only be considered once you have secured a role to assist with COVID-19 health services.