Skip to main content

Making a complaint

If you are the patient wanting to make a complaint, you will need to contact the Health and Disability Commissioner first.

Health and Disability Commissioner (HDC) contact details:

Ph: 0800 11 22 33

Before making a complaint

Before making a complaint consider discussing your concerns with the provider you are unhappy with. If that does not resolve your concerns, you may want to take the matter further.

If you have concerns about a doctor and you are thinking about raising them with us, you may want to consider the information below before doing so. One of our professional standards team will be able to talk to you about what information we need and the support available to you.

You can contact us by calling 0800 286 801 or email us at

Back to top

Who can make a complaint

Any person (the consumer, a family member, or even another provider) may complain to the HDC alleging that any action of a provider is or appears to be in breach of the Code.

Back to top

Who to lodge a complaint with

Complaints can be made to the HDC or us, the Medical Council. We must advise the HDC of any complaints made to us. Contact details for the HDC are at the top of this page.

Complaints made to an advocate that remain unresolved after advocacy assistance must be referred to the HDC, and the Medical Council must refer all patient care complaints about doctors to the HDC. The HDC is responsible for ensuring that each complaint about health care and disability services providers is dealt with appropriately.

Read about the complaint process and outcomes

Chapter 29 of Cole's Medical practice in New Zealand contains more information on complaints

Download Cole's - Chapter 29 (April 2013, PDF, 350 KB)

Email page
  1. Separate multiple addresses with a comma