Working away from New Zealand

You can remain registered in New Zealand while practising in another country provided we are still able to contact you when we need to.

Other countries will require a certificate of professional status (COPS) before you can begin work - this page outlines how to apply for a COPS, and other things you need to know if you're going to be working overseas.

Applying for a COPS

A COPS declares your current registration status with us. Other countries will require a certificate of professional status (COPS) before you can begin work. 

You can request a COPS through myMCNZ. Log into myMCNZ and follow the instructions.

If you do not have a myMCNZ account, you can set one up using a one-time PIN. To request a PIN, please call our myMCNZ support team on:

  • 0800 636 555 (from within New Zealand), or
  • +64 4 384 7635 (from overseas) during business hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am-5:00 pm,
  • or email

Maintaining your registration while you're overseas

You are entitled to remain on the medical register even if you are not practising medicine in New Zealand. The only condition is that we need to be able to contact you when required. Therefore you must keep your contact details up-to-date at all times using myMCNZ.

There is no charge for remaining on the register. However it is important to note that being on the register does not allow you to practise medicine in New Zealand. You must also hold a current practising certificate.

If you're leaving New Zealand or stopping practice and you have a current practising certificate, please let us know about what you're doing and when your last day will be. It is also important to let us know about any changes in your employment.

Cancelling your registration

If you are leaving New Zealand and not intending to return, you may find it easier to cancel your registration. If you cancel your registration you do not need to keep Council up-to-date with your contact information.

If you later find you do wish to return, you can apply for restoration to the register. This is a relatively simple process provided you meet our fitness for registration requirements. 

To cancel your registration and have your name removed from the register, please send us a written request. There is no charge to remove you from the register.