Anaesthesia is the provision of anaesthetics, peri-operative care, intensive care and pain management to patients and can include the provision of resuscitation, retrieval/transportation (inter and intra hospital) and hyperbaric medicine to patients. Encompassed in this is the advancement of professional standards, patient safety, education and the advancement of the science and practice of anaesthesia, perioperative medicine, intensive care and pain medicine.
Anaesthesia training in New Zealand
Vocational training in anaesthesia is undertaken through the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA). Once ANZCA training is completed the doctor is awarded the Fellowship of the ANZCA (FANZCA).
Am I able to apply to work as a recognised specialist in New Zealand?
To apply for vocational registration in anaesthesia, you need either:
- the FANZCA qualification; or
- an international postgraduate medical qualification in anaesthesia. We assess your combination of qualifications, training and experience, against the standard of the FANZCA.
What standard will my training, qualifications and experience be compared against?
Recognised specialists in New Zealand must complete 7 years of training and satisfy the requirements below:
- 2 years of general medical experience
- 5 years of advanced, clinically based training, including 3 months experience in all subspecialties (intensive care, pain, paediatric, obstetric, cardiac and neurosurgical anaesthesia). Note: if a trainee wishes to practice predominantly in intensive care or pain medicine they must undertake further training in these disciplines
- pass the FANZCA primary written and clinical examination (physiology, pharmacology, statistics and clinical measurement) before the third year of advanced training
- pass the FANZCA final examination in the fifth year of advanced training
- participate in the ANZCA continuing professional development programme.
Once a trainee has successfully completed all the examination and training requirements they will be awarded the FANZCA.
I want to make a vocational registration application
To make a vocational registration application, please refer to the Vocational Registration Homepage and select the option appropriate for you.
Am I able to apply for other types of registration?
You may be able to apply for more than one type of registration. To find out which is the best fit for you, please use our self assessment tool.