Internal medicine involves the diagnosis and management of patients with complex medical problems which may include internal medicine, cardiology, clinical immunology, clinical pharmacology, endocrinology, gastroenterology, geriatric medicine, haematology, infectious diseases, medical oncology, nephrology, neurology, nuclear medicine, palliative medicine, respiratory medicine and rheumatology.
Vocational training in New Zealand
Vocational training in internal medicine is administered by the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP). Following completion of RACP training, doctors are awarded the Fellowship of the RACP (FRACP).
Am I able to apply to work as a recognised specialist in New Zealand?
To apply for vocational registration in internal medicine you need either:
- the FRACP qualification; or
- an international postgraduate medical qualification in internal medicine, where your combination of qualifications, training and experience will be assessed against the standard of the FRACP.
What standard will my training, qualifications and experience be compared against?
Recognised specialists in New Zealand must complete 6 years of training and satisfy the requirements below:
- 3 years of basic internal physician training, including:
- a minimum of 36 months' clinical and educational experience, which commences 12 months after graduation
- 24 of the 36 months must be in internal medicine
- a broad knowledge of the principles and practice of internal medicine and clinical competence
- an attempt at the FRACP examination in the third year (or later)
- 3 years of advanced internal physician training. Advanced training must be in either comprehensive medical care, or one or more internal medicine subspecialties
- participation in the RACP continuing professional development programme (MyCPD).
Once a trainee has successfully completed all the examination and training requirements they will be awarded the FRACP in internal medicine.
I want to make a vocational registration application
To make a vocational registration application, please refer to the Vocational Registration Homepage and select the option appropriate for you.
Am I able to apply for other types of registration?
You may be able to apply for more than one type of registration. To find out which is the best fit for you, please use our self assessment tool.