Rehabilitation medicine is the medical care of patients in relation to the prevention and reduction of disability and handicap arising from impairments, and the management of patients with disabilities from a physical, psychosocial and vocational viewpoint.
Vocational training in New Zealand
Vocational training in rehabilitation medicine is undertaken through the Australasian Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine (AFRM). Once AFRM training is completed, the doctor is awarded the Fellowship of the AFRM (FAFRM).
Am I able to apply to work as a recognised specialist in New Zealand?
To apply for vocational registration in rehabilitation medicine you need either:
- the FAFRM qualification; or
- an international postgraduate medical qualification in rehabilitation medicine, where your combination of qualifications, training and experience is assessed against the standard of the FAFRM.
What standard will my training, qualifications and experience be compared against?
Recognised specialists in New Zealand must complete 6 years of training and meet the requirements below:
- 2 years of general medical experience
- 4 years of advanced medical training, of which 1 year may be non-core
- formative assessments at 2 and 4 months with a summative assessment at 6 months
- pass the Module 1 written assessment and Module 2 clinical assessment by the end of their second year of advanced medical training
- complete, by correspondence, modules in clinical research, clinical neuropsychology, administration and management and behavioural sciences by the end of their advanced medical training
- complete in-training long case assessments during the last three years of their training
- pass the FAFRM written and clinical examinations in the last year of advanced medical training
- participate in the AFRM continuing professional development programme.
Once a trainee has successfully completed all the examination and training requirements they will be awarded the FAFRM.
I want to make a vocational registration application
To make a vocational registration application, please refer to the Vocational Registration Homepage and select the option appropriate for you.
Am I able to apply for other types of registration?
You may be able to apply for more than one type of registration. To find out which is the best fit for you, please use our self assessment tool.