Sport and exercise medicine
Sport and exercise medicine is the medical care of the exercising individual, including the assessment and management of patients with musculoskeletal injuries and medical problems arising from sporting activity. Sport and exercise physicians possess expertise in general medicine, orthopaedics and rehabilitation, plus allied sport sciences including nutrition, biomechanics, exercise physiology and sports psychology.
Vocational training in New Zealand
Vocational training in Sport and Exercise medicine is undertaken through the Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians (ACSEP). Once ACSEP training is completed, the doctor is awarded the Fellowship of the ACSEP (FACSEP).
Am I able to apply to work as a recognised specialist in New Zealand?
To apply for vocational registration in sport and exercise medicine, you need either:
- the FACSEP qualification; or
- an international postgraduate medical qualification in sport and exercise medicine, where your combination of qualifications, training and experience is assessed against the standard of the FACSEP.
What standard will my training, qualifications and experience be compared against?
Recognised specialists in New Zealand must complete 7 years of training and satisfy the requirements below:
- 3 years of general medical experience
- 4 years of advanced medical training, covering clinical and academic training modules, sports team attachments, research and lecturing. This training must take place at a minimum of two separate training venues
- pass the Part I examination, covering anatomy, physiology, pathology and immunology, in the second year of training
- pass the Part II examination, consisting of two written papers and clinical and oral components, in the third or fourth year of advanced training
- trainees must pass the Part I examination before sitting the Part II examination
- participate in the ACSEP continuing professional development programme.
Once a trainee has successfully completed all the examination and training requirements they will be awarded the FACSEP.
I want to make a vocational registration application
To make a vocational registration application, please refer to the Vocational Registration Homepage and select the option appropriate for you.
Am I able to apply for other types of registration?
You may be able to apply for more than one type of registration. To find out which is the best fit for you, please use our self assessment tool.