Special Purpose (locum tenens) registration
You can apply if you:
• intend to work temporarily in New Zealand (short term) for a maximum period of up to 12 months;
• hold an approved qualification for special purpose (locum tenens) scope of practice;
• have worked for 20 hours each week within the last 22 out of 36 months;
• meet all other requirements in Policy on registration in a special purpose scope of practice for locum tenens.
Under New Zealand law (HPCAA 2003) a doctor can only be registered in a vocational scope if they meet all three of the following requirements:
- hold the prescribed qualification. For this pathway special purpose registration, the prescribed qualification is an approved qualification for special purpose (locum tenens)
- is fit for registration
- is competent to practise in the relevant vocational scope of practice.
Forms to complete
All applicants: must use the following forms in their application
Download REG1 application form and include the supporting documentation listed on the form.
Download CHKL13 form
Download REG3 form
Download RP6 form
Applications will take 20 working days to be processed from the date we receive a complete application.
Registration staff will contact you if further information is required and to let you know whether your application has been approved.
If your locum tenens application is approved, then you will be sent a letter of eligibility, to attend a Registration Interview after which you will be registered in a vocational scope of practice. Your name and qualifications and all the forms of registration (scopes of practice) you hold, will be published on the New Zealand Medical Register.