Ophthalmology involves the diagnosis and management of patients with abnormal conditions affecting the eye and its appendages, including prevention of blindness, promotion of eye health and rehabilitation of patients with visual disability.
Vocational training in New Zealand
Vocational training in ophthalmology is undertaken through the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmology (RANZCO). Once RANZCO training is completed the doctor is awarded the Fellowship of the RANZCO (FRANZCO).
Am I able to apply to work as a recognised specialist in New Zealand?
To apply for vocational registration in ophthalmology, you need either:
- the FRANZCO qualification; or
- an international postgraduate medical qualification in ophthalmology, where your combination of qualifications, training and experience will then be assessed against the standard of the FRANZCO.
What standard will my training, qualifications and experience be compared against?
Recognised specialists in New Zealand must complete 5 years of training and meet the requirements set out below:
- 2 years of basic training during which the trainee must demonstrate integrated clinical skills and knowledge in the ophthalmic sciences and basic competencies and knowledge
- 2 years of advanced training during which the trainee should demonstrate integrated knowledge and clinical and surgical skills
- a final year during which trainees develop specialist experience in preparation for specialist qualification
- pass the FRANZCO Part I examination in ophthalmic basic sciences (anatomy, physiology and optics) after 2 years of basic training
- pass the FRANZCO Part II written and clinical examinations in their third or fourth year of advanced training
- participate in the RANZCO continuing professional development programme.
Once a trainee has successfully completed all the examination and training requirements they will be awarded the FRANZCO.
I want to make a vocational registration application
To make a vocational registration application, please refer to the Vocational Registration Homepage and select the option appropriate for you.
Am I able to apply for other types of registration?
You may be able to apply for more than one type of registration. To find out which is the best fit for you, please use our self assessment tool.