Paediatrics involves the assessment, diagnosis and management of infants, children and young people with disturbances of health, growth, behaviour and/or development. It also addresses the health status of this group through population assessments, intervention, education and research.
Vocational training in New Zealand
Vocational training in paediatrics is undertaken through the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP). Once RACP training is completed the doctor is awarded the Fellowship of the RACP (FRACP) in paediatrics.
Am I able to apply to work as a recognised specialist in New Zealand?
To apply for vocational registration in paediatrics, you need either:
- the FRACP qualification in paediatrics; or
- an international postgraduate medical qualification in paediatrics, where your combination of qualifications, training and experience is assessed against the standard of the FRACP in paediatrics.
What standard will my training, qualifications and experience be compared against?
Recognised specialists in New Zealand must complete 6 years of training and meet the requirements below:
- 3 years of basic training, including:
- a minimum of 36 months clinical and educational experience, beginning 12 months after graduation
- 24 of the 36 months must be in paediatrics and child health
- exposure to the breadth of clinical experience in paediatric medicine
- experience in patient care, for inpatients (from initial presentation and admission through to discharge) and outpatients
- in the third year or later the trainee may attempt the FRACP examination. They must successfully complete both the written and clinical components of the exam.
- 3 years of advanced training, which:
- builds on the cognitive and practical skills acquired during basic training
- ensures that the trainee is able to provide (at consultant level), unsupervised comprehensive medical care in paediatric medicine, or one or more subspecialty
- participate in the RACP continuing professional development programme (MyCPD).
Once a trainee has successfully completed all the examination and training requirements they will be awarded the FRACP.
I want to make a vocational registration application
To make a vocational registration application, please refer to the Vocational Registration Homepage and select the option appropriate for you.
Am I able to apply for other types of registration?
You may be able to apply for more than one type of registration. To find out which is the best fit for you, please use our self assessment tool.