Urology is the diagnosis and treatment (operative and non operative) of patients with disorders of the urinary tracts in males and females, and male genital organs. It also includes the management of trauma to these organs and the management of mail sterilisation, infertility and sexual dysfunction.

Vocational training in New Zealand

Vocational training in urology is undertaken through the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS). Once RACS training is completed, the doctor is awarded the Fellowship of the RACS (FRACS) in urology.

Am I able to apply to work as a recognised specialist in New Zealand?

To apply for vocational registration in urology, you need either:

  • the FRACS qualification; or
  • an international postgraduate medical qualification, where your combination of qualifications, training and experience will then be assessed against the standard of FRACS in urology.

What standard will my training, qualifications and experience be compared against?

For details on the training programme please refer to the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons  and ABOUT USANZ - Urological Society Australia New Zealand, an association for urological surgeons  websites.

I want to make a vocational registration application

To make a vocational registration application, please refer to the Vocational Registration Homepage and select the option appropriate for you.

Am I able to apply for other types of registration?

You may be able to apply for more than one type of registration. To find out which is the best fit for you, please use our self assessment tool.