Interns (New Zealand/Australian medical graduates and NZREX graduates)
The requirements for this option
To be eligible to apply for this pathway you must:
- hold a primary medical degree from a New Zealand or Australian university medical school, or
- sat and passed NZREX Clinical, and
- satisfy Council’s English language requirements.
Applying for registration
If you are a New Zealand graduate you must have a confirmed offer of employment as an intern and submit:
- An online application.
- If you are starting in Quarter 1/November immediately following Year 6 your university has circulated information detailing how to apply online.
- If you are applying after a break between graduating and obtaining a first year house officer (intern) position, please contact email@example.com
If you are an Australian graduate you must have a confirmed offer of employment as an intern and submit:
If you are a NZREX graduate you must have a confirmed offer of employment as in intern and submit:
The conditions for this option
The conditions of a provisional general scope specify that you must:
- work in a position we have approved
- work in a Council accredited training provider in New Zealand
- participate in their intern training programme
- work in accredited clinical attachments
- work under the supervision of a prevocational educational supervisor.
Intern training programme
Prevocational medical training (the intern training programme) spans the two years following graduation from medical school and includes both postgraduate year 1 (PGY1) and postgraduate year 2 (PGY2). Doctors undertaking this training are referred to as interns. The intern training programme applies to all graduates of New Zealand and Australian accredited medical schools and doctors who have sat and passed NZREX. For further information please click here.