VOC 1 Vocational (specialist) registration
You can apply if you:
• hold general registration with us
• hold an approved New Zealand / Australasian postgraduate qualification
Note: If you do not hold general registration, but hold a primary medical degree from New Zealand or Australia, you will need to apply for general registration before your application for vocational registration can be processed.
Under New Zealand law (HPCAA 2003) a doctor can only be registered in a vocational scope if they meet all three of the following requirements:
- hold the prescribed qualification. For this pathway to vocational registration, the prescribed qualification is any of the New Zealand / Australasian postgraduate qualifications listed.
- is fit for registration
- is competent to practise in the relevant vocational scope of practice.
Forms to complete
Note: from 3 September 2018, you need to make this application online through myMCNZ. To make an application:
- Log into myMCNZ (https://www.mymcnz.org.nz/) using your username and password.
- Once you are logged in, click on the Do it online tab at the top of the page.
- On the Do it online tab, click Vocational Registration.
- On the Vocational Registration page, click Request Vocational registration now.
If you don't have a username and password, or are unsure of these details, please contact us.
Worked overseas: If you have worked overseas immediately prior to making an application for vocational registration, then you will also need to provide two referee reports, completed by specialists in the same area of medicine in which you are applying, who are familiar with your current practice.
No practising certificate: If you do not hold a current practising certificate, and are intending to practise medicine in New Zealand, please also request a practising certificate application.
No general registration: If you do not already hold general registration, you will need to apply for this first before you are able to apply for vocational through this pathway. Once you have been issued a general scope, you will be able to make your application for vocational through myMCNZ.
Download REG1 form
Download CHKL1 form
Vocational applications will take 10 working days to be processed, from the date we receive a complete application. If you must also submit an application for general registration, the process will take an additional 20 working days.
Vocational registration staff will contact you if further information is required and to let you know whether your application has been approved.